Elmcrest (ca 1838) is the oldest building on the Judson College campus. In 1851, Judge John Moore purchased this home from Samuel Fowlkes and remodeled it as a wedding gift for his bride, Emily Billingslea. Judge Moore was a captain in the Confederate army. He served as president of the Judson College Board of Trustees from 1887-1891. The Moores lived in Elmcrest for a half-century. The writer, poet laureate, and state archivist, John Trotwood Moore was born in the house on August 26, 1858. He was the son of John and Emily Moore. In 1905 the home was sold to Judson College, which has used it to serve college presidents, faculty, and students.
The house is a two story frame dwelling with cross gable roof of asphalt shingles, a three bay facade, paired windows with hood moldings, full height entrance portico with balcony, central entrances with full transom and sidelights, and paired brackets along the cornice.
Elmcrest is located on Judson campus beside Dekalb Street (GPS coordinates N32.629083,W87.314611).
Source: Historic Campus Architecture Project